Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The bright and the beautiful

Miss Chinese Thailand Cosmos and her two-runners-up set out to improve sex education among young people

Billed as a beauty pageant that focuses as much as on brains as, well, beauty and the only contest of its kind to be hosted by China, the local heat of Miss Chinese Thailand Cosmos returned to the Bangkok stage last week with lots of bright and pretty girls and a brand new licensee.

Organised in 2010 and 2011 to allow young Thai women of Chinese ancestry to show off their physical and intellectual charms but then dropped in 2012, Miss Chinese Thailand Cosmos 2013 is back courtesy of a Bt10 million investment by Diva Entertainment, a new company owned and run by Thai-Chinese actress Diana Jongjintanakarn.



"My goal is to encourage women to be proud of their natural beauty and put their potential and intellect to good use. This is not just a pageant where the girls are judged on their appearance but also on their wit and personality," says the actress.

"I'm sure this programme has changed many girls' life in a good way. As for me, I've fulfilled my dream of making 20 young girls more confident and able to look at the world with realistically. Because in reality, beauty doesn't save the world, the brain does."

The pageant, which has been held in China since 2003, might not be as internationally recognised or sensationalised as other beauty contests, but it offers sufficient exposure to change the life of 25-year-old Lilly, or Chaweewan Chongsakjarenkul, the recently crowned Miss Thailand Chinese Cosmos 2013.

"Apart from holding the title, I automatically become the ambassador for the pageant's main partner Plan International, whose work is rooted in the rights of the child. It gives me an opportunity I wouldn't otherwise have of working closely with the organisation to tackle the existing problems in a sustainable way while simultaneously learning more about what's really going on with children's rights, " enthuses the law graduate from Chulalongkorn University.

"We all attended an intensive three-day seminar organised by Plan International that looked at the sexual problems faced by young adults and participated in an awareness-raising campaign where we encouraged the kids to practice safe sex. There are other projects, too, and I will be keeping busy throughout my term to help and inspire these young people as much as I can."

As in every beauty pageant, the 20 Thai-Chinese finalists from all over the country flaunted their assets in evening gowns and swimsuits last Thursday at Central World Live but the real test came during the question session when the contestants were asked to answer in English or Chinese only.

"It was the most exciting moment of my life," says first runner up Sirada "Cherry" Taveekitrat. "As I come from quite a traditional Chinese family, my mum had to work hard to persuade my a-ma (grandmother) to allow me to join the competition.

"Besides taking extra care of my skin and body, I was cramming up on my Chinese and Chinese wisdom because I knew the questions would really test my brain."

The second runner up, Paweensuda Saetan or Fa Sai, is a 19-year-old of Canadian-Thai-Chinese extraction who is currently studying to be a kinesiologist.

"I was on holiday in Koh Samui when a friend called to tell me I had made to the final round. Apparently someone applied on my behalf! I wasn't hoping to win a title or anything, just get some experience and make some friends. And here I am with a crown on my head! It's a great surprise," says Fa Sai.

"But the best part isn't the crown but our involvement in Plan International's campaigns. I was educated in Canada and thought I knew everything I needed to know about condoms and contraceptive pills, but I was so wrong. There are still many things to learn and so many misconceptions and misunderstandings out there. Not only do I have to learn but I will also be spreading that knowledge to others. It's such a privilege."

Apart from a crown studded with diamonds and rubies, Lilly walked away with a condo plus life and health insurance policies worth a total of Bt8 million. Cherry went home with Bt4.7 million of prizes and Fa Sai was awarded Bt4.5 million.

The next mission for the girls is to secure a spot in Miss Chinese Cosmos Southeast Asia in Malaysia. All three of them, along with the third runner up, will represent Thailand - starting over in a competition where everyone stands an equal chance of winning.

"Several people have asked if I mind that the three are competing against me at the Southeast Asia level. I don't. They've all become good friends and I would be more than happy if any of them were to win a title. Also, the more the contestants, the better the chances of Thailand winning the crown," says a smiling Lilly.

Pretty maids in a row

The Miss Chinese Cosmos International Grand Finals will be held in Hong Kong and Guangzhou in October.

0 comments:

Post a Comment